Origin: The religious connotations behind the name come from the bonds between the winery and the clergy.
Was the clergy who first owned the estate as it had belonged to the Cathedral Chapter of Valladolid which was comprised of 22 “canónigos” (canons) –the reason for its name- The Winery is located within the municipal area of Pesquera de Duero and its boundaries were described as follows: Cañada del Indio to the east, the estate that once belonged to the monastery of Bernardos de Valbuena to the west. Valdemadera’s area, in the Pesquera municipal area, and the forest to the north and the Duero river to the south. There was a forest in the area that included species such as pine, oak and juniper.
But the situation changed in mid-19th century, with the so-called “Desamortización de Mendizábal” (dissentailment of the Church property). The process affected all Secular Clergy’s property that became “state property” pursuant to the Act of 2nd September 1841, which endorsed the use of this property in order to extinguish or reduce the State debt (1836-1853).